I hope each of you are taking some time to relax and enjoy the summer.
There are several things I want to tell you so that you can take them into consideration as you make plans for 2012-2013 program year.
- Faithful Citizenship – If your parish is planning on an event or a series concerning the November 6 elections, please keep in mind that ballots will be mailed out on October 19. A significant percentage of voters fill out their ballots soon after receiving them. If possible, it might be advantageous to schedule your parish Faithful Citizenship program prior to October 19. And don’t forget to visit the Faithful Citizenship website as new resources are frequently added.
- Respect Life Packets – One packet will be sent to each parish around mid-August, to the attention of the priest or pastoral coordinator. USCCB has not yet posted the new materials to its website yet. I will send another email when they have.
- World Day of Peace – The Vatican has announced the theme for the 2013 World Day of Peace Message: “Blessed are the Peacemakers.” The Vatican also reported the message “will embrace the fullness and diversity of the concept of peace” and “look at the fiftieth Anniversary of Vatican Council II and of the Encyclical Letter by Pope John XXIII, 'Pacem in Terris', according to which the primacy is always for human dignity and freedom, for the building of an earthly city to the service of every person, without any discrimination, and directed to the common good which is based on justice and true peace.” Pope Benedict will deliver his message on January 1, 2013, and the Vatican usually makes the text available several weeks prior.
- Marriage Booklet – Archbishop Sartain’s booklet on marriage, Everything I Have is Yours, is now available electronically on the Archdiocese’s page for Natural Family Planning.
- Sanctity of All Life is the title of a new JustMatters module from JustFaith Ministries and is is based on the foundational Catholic Church teaching that, as a gift from God, every human life is sacred - from conception to natural death. While the module focuses on the death penalty, it addresses other life issues and provides an extensive list of sanctity of life action ideas and resources for all of the life issues, including abortion, euthanasia, in vitro fertilization, disabilities and the death penalty. For more information, visit the JustMatters website. There is also a new module on peacemaking and nonviolence.
- Rio+20 – The Vatican developed a position paper for last month’s U.N. Conference on Sustainable Development. One key part stressed the “principle of subsidiarity must be closely linked to the principle of solidarity and vice versa. For if subsidiarity without solidarity lapses into social privatism, it is likewise true that solidarity without subsidiarity lapses into a welfare mentality which is demeaning to those in need.” If you wish to read the complete text, please see the Vatican’s website.
Please also remember that the Mass for Life will be on Tuesday, January 22, 2013, and Catholic Advocacy Day will be on Friday, March 22, 2013.
Thank you for building a culture of life in a just world at peace,
Director of Adult Faith Formation for
Catholic Social Teaching and Family Life
Archdiocese of Seattle
710 - 9th Avenue
Seattle, WA 98104-2017
Dir. (206) 382-4268
Toll-free (800) 950-4970
Fax (206) 264-2084